The new Fort McKay Youth Centre opened September 2016. The Youth Centre is used by Fort McKay Youth ages 12 to 17. The Youth Centre’s mission is to create a safe, fun, and empowering environment for the youth of Fort McKay. This is a youth-directed program—if they can dream it, the passionate people at the centre can make it happen.
A diverse array of activities and programs are available for youth in Fort McKay ages 12 to 18 years old. Along with a daily drop-in, the Youth Centre also offers a supper program every night from 5:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. Youth are encouraged to participate in the planning and preparation of healthy and fun meals. We also run occasional programs on Saturday and Sunday for special events and team sports programs.
The Youth Centre offers community residents the following Programs and Amenities:
- Full-size industrial kitchen. We provide dinner daily for approximately 20 to 35 youth at 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Youth Centre has its own Youth Council that was created in 2018. The council provides guidance into program creation and fundraising initiatives.
- Home of the Northern Spirits Football program established in the fall of 2019 by Dylan Foguere. We had a mixed male/female team participate in an Edmonton area league. We travelled 8 weeks every weekend to play. For the spring of 2020, we will have an all-girls Northern Spirits team participating in the league.
- Photography and Art Workshops.
- Pottery program.
- Music Recording Studio program.
- Gym workouts three times a week after school.
- Boxing program at Sweet Science Boxing in Fort McMurray.
- Chopped Challenge – Cooking Competition.
- Variety of Life Skills Programs.
- Attend regional, provincial and national Aboriginal Youth Conferences.
- Creation of the community annual Haunted House during Halloween.
- Homework Club